My research focuses on LGBTQ affirmative therapy and fostering multicultural and social justice counseling competency through supervision and training. In addition to my own ongoing scholarship, I have been fortunate to be able to collaborate with a number of my students to help generate research that is relevant to their interests. A few of my recent publications and presentations include:
- Cerezo, A., Ramirez, A., O’Shaughnessy, T., Sanchez, A., Mattis, S., & Ross, A. (2021). Understanding the power of social media during COVID-19: Forming social norms for drinking among sexual minority gender expansive college women. Journal of Homosexuality, 68(4), 560-576. https://doi.org/10.1080/00918369.2020.1868183
- Cerezo, A., & O’Shaughnessy, T. (2021). Psychological distress, alcohol misuse, and stigma to seek psychological help in a community sample of sexual diverse women of color. Journal of LGBT Issues in Counseling, 15(1), 59-76. https://doi.org/10.1080/15538605.2021.1868374
- Suzuki, L. A., O’Shaughnessy, T., Roysircar, G., Ponterotto, J., & Carter, R. (2019). Counseling psychology and the amelioration of oppression: Translating our knowledge into action. The Counseling Psychologist, 47, 826-872. doi: 10.1177/0011000019888763.
- Solomon, D., Reed, O., Sevecke, J., O’Shaughnessy, T., Acevedo-Polakovich, I. D. (2019) Expert Consensus on Facilitating the Coming-Out Process: A Delphi Study. Journal of Gay and Lesbian Mental Health, 22, 348-371. doi: 10.1080/19359705.2018.1476279
- O’Shaughnessy, T. & Speir, Z. (2018). The state of LGBQ affirmative therapy clinical research: A mixed-methods systematic synthesis. Psychology of Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity, 5, 82-98. doi: 10.1037/sgd0000259
- O’Shaughnessy, T. (2018). Courageous Dialogues: Resolving Problems of Trainee Cultural Competence. In J. E. Manese & T. Burnes (Eds). Casebook in Multicultural Clinical Supervision (pp. 301-310). San Diego, CA: Cognella.
- Davis III, C., & O’Shaughnessy, T. (2018). Competency-Based Multicultural Supervision. In J. E. Manese & T. Burnes (Eds). Casebook in Multicultural Clinical Supervision (pp. 1-13). San Diego, CA: Cognella.
- Brown, A., & O’Shaughnessy, T. (2020, March). Fostering Well-being in the Face of Racism and Sexism: Examining Protective Strategies for African American Women. Poster presented at the Association for Women in Psychology 51st Annual Conference, Austin, TX.
- Martyr, M., O’Shaughnessy, T., Thornhill, C., & Knutson, D. (2019, August). Politics and Paradoxes: LGBTQ+ Supervision in Today’s Climate. Roundtable presented at the American Psychological Association 127th Annual Convention, Chicago, IL.
- Burnes, T., & O’Shaughnessy, T. (2019, August). It’s Not About Our Guilt: Divesting from and Weaponizing White Privilege. In K. Balsam & C. Green (Chairs). Dismantling racism 102: A skill-building workshop for LGBTQ communities Workshop presented at the American Psychological Association 127th Annual Convention, Chicago, IL.
- Brown, A. N., & O’Shaughnessy, T. (2019, February). Radical healing as a strategy to promote collective liberation. Roundtable discussion presented at the Association for Women in Psychology 50th Annual Conference, Newport, RI.
- O’Shaughnessy, T. (2019, January). Assessing Client Experiences of LGBQ Affirmative Therapy. In T. O’Shaughnessy (Chair), Advances in Clinical Approaches with the LGBTQ Community symposium conducted at the National Multicultural Conference and Summit, Denver, CO.
- O’Shaughnessy, T., Storrow, N. A., & Bui, N. C. T. (2018, August). Development and Preliminary Validation of the Client Experiences of LGBQ Affirmative Therapy Scale. Poster presented at the American Psychological Association 126th Annual Convention, San Francisco, CA.
- O’Shaughnessy, T. (2018, August). Addressing Cultural Taxation for Women of Color Early Career Psychologists. Symposium chaired at the American Psychological Association 126th Annual Convention, San Francisco, CA
More detailed and current information is available via Google Scholar and Research Gate: